Friday, March 22, 2013

Seeing Crimson

Seems like it happens every year, the big upset that no one saw coming that blows up most everyone's bracket. Last year it was the second seeded Missouri Tigers losing to the 15 seed Norfolk State team. It was also the second seed Duke Blue Devils losing to the 15 seed Lehigh. This year, the 14 seed Harvard Crimson took down the number 3 seed New Mexico Lobos, and with it, my bracket.

As anyone who reads my blog knows, I had picked New Mexico as my dark horse team to make the Final Four. I thought they had been put into a pretty soft bracket and that they would not have much trouble getting past an Ohio State team that plays in an over-rated Big 10. I also didn't think they would have a difficult time upsetting the number one seed, Gonzaga, because I don't believe that the 'Zags (or anyone from the West Coast Conference for that matter) have played anyone of note this season and don't have the stamina or strength to hold up against a team from a stronger conference. I certainly didn't see them getting upset by a team who had NEVER won a game in the NCAA tournament prior to today. A team who, before the start of the season, had their two best players kicked out of school because of a cheating scandal. Boy was I wrong apparently. That is the last time I let people talk me into believing that the Mountain West Conference is a force to be reckoned with.

Of course, that wasn't the only upset of the day to do some serious harm to my bracket. Though not to the extent of the New Mexico upset, I also had the Oklahoma State team advancing to the Sweet 16, not getting upset by the 12th seeded Oregon Ducks. I wasn't convinced that the Pac 12 was anything of note this year, and as much as I didn't like Oklahoma State this year. I watched them several times in the regular season and was never impressed by them at all. In fact, at many times I wondered whether they would even make the tournament. In spite of my misgivings about them, I inexplicably picked them to win two games in the tourney. Why I picked this way, I honestly have no idea.

Only one thing is certain to me at this point. No matter what happens in the rest of the tournament, I will certainly not be winning my pool. Congrats to my friends Jordan Paulson and Nate Jordan, you have picked a better bracket than I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment