Saturday, March 23, 2013

One is an Accident...

...Two is a trend. It has happened to me again. Once again I have lost a member of my Final Four. This time it was the Big East that I overestimated. Georgetown lost today in their first round game (second round technically, but we all know that those first four games are really just a play-in). The number 2 seed went down to the 15 seed, Florida Gulf Coast.

FGCU didn't just beat the Hoyas of Georgetown, they looked downright impressive in doing so. If they hadn't been beating a team I had picked to go to the semi-finals, I would even go so far as to say that I would be rooting for them. They played with so much passion and pizzazz, it was hard not to get into it and cheer for them. If they play this way, it's not hard to see them beating San Diego State. In all fairness to FGCU, this shouldn't come as a terrible surprise to anyone. They challenged themselves a lot in their non-conference schedule (read as "made a lot of money for their program"). They beat a team in Miami who would go on to win the ACC and become another 2 seed in the tournament. They also played a tough game against yet another eventual 2 seed in Duke. All this in only their second year of eligibility. Things are looking up for this program, do not be surprised to see them making noise again next year.

Another of the upsets of today, Ole Miss beating Wisconsin, is one of the few that I actually got right. I've been telling people for a long time that the Big Ten is over-rated, and the Badgers reaffirmed that for me today. Marshall Henderson, for as cocky and in your face as he can be, is a pretty exceptional shooter. If he's on his game, he alone can bury a team. Not only is he a shooter though, he is also a leader. When he is playing well, he has the ability to make everyone around him better. I would not be at all surprised to see the Rebels go on to beat their next opponent, LaSalle, who pulled a big upset of their own today in beating a very talented Kansas State team.

What we should take away from the "Round of 64" is that, ultimately, your seeding doesn't matter in this tournament. It's just a matter of time before I'm posting about a 16 upsetting a 1 and killing my brackets yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment